It was my very first day volunteering at a therapeutic riding center. I had sent in a request to volunteer over a year ago. I never heard back and honestly forgot about it. But, a couple weeks ago they finally got back saying there were many volunteer positions open. I let them know my available times and bam! there I was on the schedule, starting the very next week. Which happened to be today.
Going in I had absolutely no expectations. All I knew was I was going to be around horses and that was more than enough for me. After driving around and getting a bit lost (true Annie form) I pulled into the driveway.
We got right down to business. A short introduction, a mini-tour, then I helped out in my first lesson.
At one point in the middle of the lesson when I was walking past the paddock door, my mind went blank except for one word that wanted to make itself known...purposeful.
I felt like I was right where I needed to be. Like this day was made for me. Like my lifelong obsession with horses was coming full circle, leading me here. Was I completely comfortable? No way. I was on the verge of being terrified. I have almost zero experience with people with special needs. I'm not even sure if that's the correct term to use. But, I do know my horses. And I do know how it felt to help those students feel one of the greatest joys in the world. If I could only bottle up those smiles and ship them to people all over the world...it would be such a happier place.
I admire those who work full time with people with disabilities. I don't think I could do it. But, I can spend a couple hours a week like this. I feel like I need to spend a couple hours a week like this. I need these lessons just as much as they do.
By the way, being in a horse stable is pretty much the best thing ever. A horse wanted attention and bit my shoulder before I left. I couldn't even get mad...I just loved on him even more. So, so good!
This is amazing. So proud of you for doing this sister.
ReplyDeleteLife begins just outside your comfort zone :)
ReplyDelete