Monday, July 19, 2010

Crutches

When I was little there was one thing I wanted more than anything (beside a horse, obviously). It wasn’t an expensive toy, an awesome bike, or anything fancy like that. No, the thing I wanted most in the world was a pair of...CRUTCHES!


I used to hope for a twisted ankle, a broken foot, or anything that would enable me to own and use crutches, but it never happened. I think it’s because I am unbreakable. In my 24 years of life I have never had so much as a broken finger. And don’t worry, I’m not going to jinx it...it’s never worked before.


My crutches obsession was so crazy that back in 1996 I even tried making my own.



Crochet mallets and duct tape. Genius, if I do say so myself.


Well, fast forward to present day...


My mom walked in the door on Saturday with one of her best garage sale finds to date...my very own crutches!



I tried to fake Nick and Jackie out and it worked...for about 30 seconds.


Reality Check Moment: I feel very blessed that I have never been seriously injured and although a tiny part of me may still long for the chance to legitimately use crutches, I know that work and my health are more important that a silly little wish, no matter how awesome it may be. Furthermore, I'm sure crutches are a pain in the ass after using them for more than 10 minutes.



3 comments:

  1. Um, I got super excited when I saw you started working on your blog again. Your message motivated me to actually post something! P.s. Don't be ashamed to be a twihard. Also...Zac Efron was at the Mall of America today and I didn't go! I'm a dissapointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a funny obsession! Glad you finally got a pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I was the same way when I was older! I even tried to fall funny off of a stool so that I'd somehow hurt myself & need crutches, or at least an Ace bandage! But I did actually meet my best friend when she was trying to find the elevator in one of our class buildings because she was on crutches!

    ReplyDelete