Monday, July 6, 2009

I just broke up....

.....with my restaurant.

It was a happy day.
It was a sad day.

I had been working there for FOUR years, but I finally decided it was time. I walked in totally prepared, but my reaction completely shocked me.

After the awkward "I'm quitting" talk, I walked around saying goodbye to everyone and soaking it all in. After a few hugs my eyes started to water so I made up an excuse that I had to leave because I really didn't want to cry in front of everyone!

I almost made it to my car when the real water works kicked in. Then, I spent the drive home with tears streaming down my face.

Did I mention I'm crazy? And hormonal?

Nick should be used to my emotional-ness, but he still thought I was absolutely insane. He kept saying, "Wait...you just quit your job that you hated, and you're crying?!"

But here's the thing....

I was there for four years. Even though it was a little serving job, it was still a big part of my life.

I will never make another trio.
I will never mix up the hot mustard and chili paste.
I will never have to ask someone if they would like white or brown rice.
I will never have to sweep out my section and follow the closer around to get their signature.
I will never have to sign other servers out.
I will never have to be on Coffee/Tea, Trios, Reach-In, Side stations, or Restock.
I will never have to explain that fried rice doesn't come with the meal. Sorry.
I will never get that amazing food for 50% off.
I will never have to complain about awful sections.
I will never get annoyed again by flaky hostesses (from the server perspective anyway).
I will never receive another terrible tip.
I will never receive another amazing tip.
I will never get to meet complete strangers on an every day basis.
I will never wear that hideous black uniform again.

Sigh.

It was a great job. And crazy as I am, I'm really gonna miss it.

(But, lets be real too....I am so happy to only have one job finally!)


So, lets recap...In the past month I have....
  • Graduated college
  • Started a full time job
  • Quit my good ole serving job
  • Turned 23

I think I have an excuse to be emotional!


13 comments:

  1. Yeay for being able to quit your serving job!! You seem like you have soo much good going on right now since graduating and getting a full time job!! Good luck with everything and I enjoy reading about all your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! When I left my college retail job after working there for 3 years I was SO sad. It wasn't about the job as much as the people and the relationships, it was crazy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! Reading that brought back a TON of memories from when I served at a restaurant in my early 20's...that's really an experience unlike any other and some days, even years later, I miss it. What a big day for you! And it's okay that you cried, I did too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, good for you! It's a start in the right direction. You need to find something that makes you happy!! All the time that is. I know it is hard, I have quit jobs because of having to move and it's hard. Good luck, and remember, life goes by too fast to not have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been the exact same way. EVERYTHING makes me cry... cant imagine what a nutjob I will be when Im pregnant! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel! I hate quitting jobs too even if I hated them. I always stay at the same place for at least a year and it really becomes part of your life! Sounds like you've had a CRAZY schedule though and needed a break :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you Annie! I'm so proud of you... you are moving on to bigger/better things. Therefore, we should celebrate soon. (we always can find an excuse to celebrate, right?!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I COMPLETELY understand. I quit my serving job to get a "real world" job when I graduated... and now I wish I hadn't rushed into it just because I hate my current job.

    I'll never make $250 in one day, again.
    I'll never sit in the hot kitchen eating strawberry garnishes.
    I will never have to cut lemons in slices or drink wedges.
    I'll never have to tip out a darn bus boy or bartender AGAIN!

    I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. when one door closes another opens :)
    there are many positives for you to be happy about too! i used to work a part time job and my full time job, i miss the money but i love the free time i have!
    smile girly :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a busy month! I remember quitting my retail job after 6 years to start my "real" job. I hated every minute of working there...but still cried my last day. Just call me sappy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You definitely have a right to be emotional! I worked as a receptionist at a country club for about five years, through college and off and on after, and I still get a little nostalgic when I think about it or pass by.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like some really exciting stuff is going on in your life!! Congrats on moving on to your full time job :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Annie just so you know, when I left CPK before I left for MN, I was full out bawling. I cried inside before I left, I cried as I was walking out of Easton, heck I still miss it sometimes now and get teary eyed.

    ReplyDelete