Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Fake Accents

"Dating in the Dark" is quickly becoming my favorite show, probably because there is nothing else on that I usually watch. But, its entertaining and I enjoy it.

A couple weeks ago there was a girl on the show who had a really thick Boston accent.

Ever since then I have been thinking in my head with this accent. It mostly comes out with the words "hot dog" and "car."

If you're thinking I'm crazy right now, you might be right.

But, I have this thing with accents.

Most of the time I just have a little Southern accent. When I used to work at the restaurant people would always ask me where I'm from and wouldn't believe me when I said Ohio.

When I drink, I become really Southern. The "y'alls" start flowing like nobodies business. The accent is actually how people know I've been drinking.

I don't know where it comes from...it just happens.

Actually, I blame part of it on my oldest sister. When she was in her early teens she made up some crazy fake accent because she wanted to be different from everyone else. I love it. Way to be an individual Stephie!


But back to thinking with accents....

My high school Spanish teacher was very very fluent in the language. We used to ask her if her thoughts would be in Spanish or English. She said it was about 50/50. Same with her dreams. Since I'm not bilingual, I just find this fascinating.



In other very captivating news, I have been doing Level TWO of The Shred.

I believe Jillian says something along the lines of, "I want you to feel like you're going to die!" and "I want you gurgling your heart by the time we're finished with this cardio!"

Mission accomplished Jill...Mission accomplished.


And because a photo makes every blog post better....

These photos are almost a year old but still make me laugh. My family was apple picking and we stopped to take a photo of the Grandparents/Grandchildren.

FYI: this was a very windy day as you'll see in the second picture. I think my mom and baby Nate have the best expressions...





7 comments:

  1. Uh, okay, I think you may be my soul twin. All my best friends thought I was absolutely crazy when I told them my "thinking voice" was southern. From ages 8-17 I thought with a pure & thick southern accent - but it never came out of my mouth. I couldn't even TRY to replicate it. (Probably a good thing, since I have a thick Wisconsin accent, and would probably be harassed even worse out here in Oregon if it was mixed with Southern) It's so relieving that you think in accents sometimes too & I am sending this blog link out to every friend who ever made fun of me!

    I may just need to try out this Jillian Michaels death trial business! Sounds intense!

    And that second picture is SO funny, haha. Thanks for posting that. The baby's face cracks me up every time I look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a southern accent when I'm angry or really excited about something! So funny that you think in an accent:) And your pictures are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are too cute, i love that you get an accent when you drink....too funny!!
    i've been doing the shred again as well, started this week. i've never made it to level 2, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been watching dating in the dark too! Josh thinks I am weird, but I love it hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this post made me feel so much better. I sometimes think in perfect accents (most recently, a British accent after listening to a book on CD read in a British accent) but if I try to talk in accents, it's not even close. Also? My Southern accent definitely becomes thicker after I've been drinking. I thought I was crazy on both counts, but now I know it's not just me! Yay good to know! Oh and that second picture cracked me up! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear a good review of 500 Days of Summer...I've been wanting to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I already commented...but I left you a little something on my blog!! Hope you enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete