Friday, April 24, 2009

Catching Up!

I am l o v i n g life right now because of this gorgeous weather!

I had a dream last night that was pretty action packed. Jackie and I were in a grocery store and we were sitting on the side of a fountain writing our grocery lists. Suddenly a women ran up and grabbed Jackie's phone that was sitting right beside her. Being the heroine that I am, I chased the woman down an aisle and jumped on her back. After I tackled her to the ground I grabbed Jackie's phone and then we called the cops.

Apparently I am a badass in dreamland.

Moving On.



I worked at the restaurant Thursday night and was reminded once again why I need to graduate and get a real job. I had a table with two women who had separate checks. The first woman paid with a credit card and left a small tip, and the other woman paid with cash. Her bill was exactly $20.23 and she put a twenty dollar bill in the book. I took it up and saw she still owed 23 cents, but figured she was just going to leave it with the tip, no big deal. So, I printed off a receipt with her 23 cent balance and gave it back to her. They hung around for awhile then finally left.

The book was empty. No 23 cents. No tip.

So, not only did I pay for 23 cents of her meal, but I also paid her to sit and eat at my table. If you've never worked in a restaurant before you might not know that servers are required to tip out bartenders and food runners. So, I still had to tip out on her table even though she didn't leave me anything. This makes me a very unhappy girl.

Here's the thing...I'm not the kind of server who just expects a 20% tip off of every table. I believe a server needs to earn that money by giving good service. If the server is friendly, always keeps your drinks full, doesn't keep you waiting, etc, then yes, I believe 20% is what they earned. Or at least somewhere close to 20%.

I have worked in a restaurant long enough that getting bad tips doesn't surprise me, but it still feels like a slap in the face. Take this for example:


Thank you sir, for taking the time to write not one, but four zeros and crossing all of them through with such precision. You're a peach.


If you look at the date on that check you will see it was Valentine's Day. So, not only was I stuck working all night on the "most romantic day of the year," but I also had the pleasure of waiting on these fine human beings. I remember this table well because they were some of the neediest people I have ever met and I busted my butt all night so they could have a wonderful meal. They suck.

FYI: I am keeping this check as motivation to get a real job as soon as I graduate in June!

Ok, I am done with the restaurant talk for now!

I mentioned in my last post that I was going to take pictures at Nick's band practice. Their band name is My Favorite Shadow so I tried to incorporate lots of shadows in the pictures. Here are some of my favorites.







Alright blogworld, I'm going out to enjoy this beautiful day!


6 comments:

  1. I love the pictures with all the shadows...nice!! Also, I don't work or never have worked at a restuarant but I understand you totally. Even if my server was way below par I would always give 15% because that's just the person I am. I would say I usually give 20% most of the time unless there was a reason they didn't deserve it. I have never walked away with giving no tip. I actually can't believe that there are people out there that still leave no tip for someone who gets most of their income from tips. Great post, I got a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures again! That photo class is teaching you well or you're just naturally talented!

    P.S.
    Ryan lives in Tennessee near Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pictures. I really miss you and I am hoping that I will be seeing/hanging out/having fun with you soon! It has been way too long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I love that you called that man a peach! My husband and I use that word but I'm not sure where we got it, I thought it was just something random we use.

    The pictures are great! What kind of music do they play?

    Glad you found my blog! You've got yourself a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog!

    Oh my goodness! For some reason I skipped over "I had a dream" part of your story. I was like..."This really happened?!". Then I read back haha. I'm retarded!

    Wow. I relate to you SO much right now! I served for YEARS and was so ready to be done with it. Customers like that always discouraged me because I always went out of my way to be nice. I always give servers great tips because I know what goes into it.

    People like that just make me angry.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I cannot believe people don't leave tips like that...how rude! I'm sorry :( Waaaahhhh!!! Stupid people...anyways...there was my rant! I hope you get the greatest job EVAH after you graduate! Becky

    ReplyDelete